The library was commenced with an initial collection inherited from Vidyodaya Pirivena with establishment of the Vidyodaya University of Ceylon in 1959. Subsequently it was housed in a substantial area of the Sri Sumangala Building since 1961 and developed the collection over the years.
The entire collection of the library was shifted to aspirate library building in 1988. It is certainly located with provision for a full-pledged library. The new building was designed to draw as much as natural light, ventilation and fresh air as possible into the complex, and to blend well with the surroundings.
The Mission is to provide access to the library and information services in an efficient, effective and useful manner to support teaching, learning and research activities of the intellectual community by making resource materials available, and by assisting users to be acquainted with skills in locating information deemed necessary in the modern information age.